Being one of the reviewers of ISO DIS 29500 in Sweden, I have some inside information on the process. Please feel free to ask me if you have any further questions on the progress of the Swedish review process.
The request for comments period for SIS ended August 10. Voting will take place some time soon, and SIS will send their vote to ISO early September. The technical committee responsible for OOXML consists of the following entities:
- Riksarkivet, STOCKHOLM (National Archive, a government entity)
- Kungl biblioteket, STOCKHOLM (Royal Library, a government entity)
- Verva, STOCKHOLM (Department for Development of Administration, a government entity)
- Sun Microsystems AB, KISTA (Swedish subsidiary of Sun Microsystems)
- IBM Svenska AB, STOCKHOLM (Swedish subsidiary of IBM)
- Diamo AB, GÖTEBORG (Open standards solutions provider, not focused on Microsoft software)
- WM-data Sverige AB, STOCKHOLM (IT business solutions provider, not Microsoft-specific)
- Iamcp Sweden Chapter, BROMMA (International Association of Microsoft Certified Partners, Swedish chapter)
- Humandata Inventus AB, HANINGE (A Microsoft Certified Partner)
So, it seems that MS has not stacked the deck with its boughten friendship. At least not yet.
Rumor has it that more members are possibly joining the group before the vote, but I have no
more information at the moment.
The SIS main committee on IT standardisation issues, which is possibly also involved to some
extent in the final voting, are these:
- Ericsson AB, STOCKHOLM (Ericsson, a large telecom company)
- Helsingborgs stadsarkiv, HELSINGBORG (The municipal archive of the city of Helsingborg)
- Högskolebiblioteket i Jönköping, JÖNKÖPING (University library of Jönköping)
- Kungliga biblioteket, STOCKHOLM (Royal Library, Stockholm)
- Landsarkivet I Lund, LUND (Regional National Archive in Lund)
- LFV, NORRKÖPING (Air traffic regulations agency of Sweden)
- NUTEK, STOCKHOLM (National scientific foundation of Sweden, a governmental research funding institute)
- Riksarkivet, STOCKHOLM (National Archives of Sweden)
- SIS Forum AB, STOCKHOLM (A standards consultant company, affiliated with SIS)
- Stockholms Stadsarkiv, STOCKHOLM (Regional Archive of Stockholm)
- Sundsvalls kommun, SUNDSVALL (the Municipality of City of Sundsvall)
As you can see, almost exclusively government representatives, no clear Microsoft-bias.
The list of members for this main committee is not going to change before the final vote.
I would be very surprised to see anything else than a "No with comments" from the SIS committee.
Given the sheer number of objections (I found hundreds myself, and commented in detail on about 50
of the more grave errors I found in the proposal), and the reportedly large amount of comments from
the general public, which I expect to be mostly negative, I see no way for OOXML to pass in Sweden.
Stefan Gustavson (moc.liamg|nosvatsug.nafets#moc.liamg|nosvatsug.nafets)