We, the undersigned,
Representing civil society, consumers, software developers, small and medium-sized enterprises, and large innovators;
- The International Organization for Standardization (ISO) is considering Ecma 376;
- Ecma 376 is an immature documentation of one vendor's proprietary office document format;
- Ecma 376 depends on software patents held by this vendor, which block interoperability;
- Ecma 376 conflicts with existing ISO standards including ISO26300, the ISO standard for office documents;
- More than two hundred other technical comments have been raised by industry, academics, researchers, and experts;
- The ISO JTC-1 Directive p.48 section 9.8 requires national bodies to vote "NO with comments" if there remain unanswered technical problems;
- The accuracy and honesty of the voting process has been questioned in many countries.
Call on all ISO members to:
- Apply the proper rigor and allow sufficient time to examine all technical comments;
- Ensure a fair and accurate vote in all advisory committees under a neutral chairman;
- Vote "NO with comments" if any technical comments remain unresolved.
Sign this letter
To sign this letter, please send by email your name, position, organisation, website, and logo to Benjamin Henrion <gro.iiff|noirnehb#gro.iiff|noirnehb>.